RV8 Water Pump Problem

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

RV8 Water Pump Problem

Post by DEVONMAN »

A couple of weeks ago I changed the water pump on my Engine as the bearing in the old pump was noisy. (It's a P38 type pump which runs counter clockwise)
Since then the engine temperature has been all over the place rising to near boiling point sometimes and then running at normal temperature for say 10 minutes and then zooming up again to a high temp within say 30 seconds.
I had no problems until I changed the pump and the symptoms pointed to the thermostat not opening when it should as the top hose was not getting excessively hot and the fan did not switch on as the fan switch is in the top hose.
I changed the thermostat but this made no difference.
I changed the temp gauge sender but this made no difference.

The top of the rad is higher than the engine and I have never needed to bleed the system.

I suspected that I had a head gasket problem which was causing some gases to build up behind the thermostat causing it to close at random but I'm not a great believer in coincidences given that all was well before I changed the water pump.
The other possibility was a loose impeller on the pump.
After 2 weeks of back flushing /bleeding/ jacking the front of the car up/ doing burping procedures etc., I was getting nowhere so I removed the pump and fitted another one.
Bingo, all is now sorted and back to normal.
:D
The pump that gave the problems has a cast impeller and the original pump and the one that's fitted now both have pressed steel impellers.

On inspection of the problem pump, I noted that the gap between the impeller and the body of the pump was greater than the other 2 pumps by about 2mm and other than this there appeared to be no difference.
The impeller was secure on the shaft.

So what caused the problem :?:
I'm open to suggestions but my guess is that the larger gap between the impeller and the body was causing the pump to be inefficient allowing some cavitation to occur and that air was rising up to the inlet manifold and causing the thermostat to close and act randomly. The internal channel of these counter clockwise pumps are not the best design as any trapped air in the pump at initial fillup or due to cavitation has to travel downwards to leave the pump toward the offside of the engine. Naturally, when I saw the temp gauge rising towards boiling point I lowered the engine revs, but what was needed was some high revs to expell air from the pump. Low revs and air in the pump probably caused the pump to shift even less coolant.

Any other ideas :?:

Regards Denis

1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Was the new pump an aftermarket part?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

ChrisJC wrote:Was the new pump an aftermarket part?

Chris.
It's got no Rover part numbers on it so I assume it was not OE.

Regards Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Odd. Not a fault I have ever come across. A water pump that doesn't!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

ChrisJC wrote:Odd. Not a fault I have ever come across. A water pump that doesn't!

Chris.
Nor me. Very odd indeed.
I am hoping that someone on here has had a similar situation.

A Question. Do OE pumps have cast impellers or are they the pressed steel type?

When I changed the water pump I was going to fit a different cam at the same time. Luckily I didn''t as all the stop starting would have wrecked the running in process.
Denis

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I would put it down to a crap aftermarket part, 2mm more clearance is a lot for a small pump. Interesting though, have never though of measuring the pump impeller. Next time mine's apart I'll be measuring the clearance.
I've had crap rockers in the past with a larger clearance than the worn origanals so I think whatever part you fit to your car needs to me measured and evaluated.

Tom
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I bought a QH pump P6 variety and it has a cast impeller

Now it replaced one with a leaking seal also QH with a cast impellor

One however was straight vanes and the other spiral vanes

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Ian Anderson wrote:I bought a QH pump P6 variety and it has a cast impeller

Now it replaced one with a leaking seal also QH with a cast impellor

One however was straight vanes and the other spiral vanes

Ian
Hi Ian. Thanks for the reply.
P6 pumps have much larger impeller than the later P38 type so I would expect the impeller clearance to be less crucial.
As Tom said, I will also be checking the pump carefully before I fit another one in the future.

Regards Denis

Return to “Cooling Area”